JOB ANNOUNCEMENT – PROGRAM DIRECTOR
Public Health Advocates seeks a dynamic leader who can build upon the current successes of our Within Our REACH (Racial and Ethnic Approaches to Community Health) to forge a path forward for Public Health Advocates in the City of Stockton. Strong applicants will have a track record of staff supervision, team building, program and grant development. Knowledge of the intersection of health and city planning is a plus.
Within Our REACH is a project funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Sierra Health Foundation. It serves African American residents living in low income census tracts in Stockton. Its prime strategy is advancing policy, systems and environmental change within 40 African American churches and in the City of Stockton’s General Plan. The CDC has recognized Stockton’s Within Our REACH as one of its top programs. PHAdvocates will seek renewed funding from the CDC and expand Within Our REACH to additional communities.
PHAdvocates has augmented Within Our REACH with programs focusing on trauma and on community organizing. The Program Director will be involved in these initiatives as well.
The Program Director oversees the operations of the Stockton office, manages Public Health Advocates’ Stockton based programs including Within our REACH, supervises staff and leads the development and implementation of communication, evaluation and community action plans. The position is funded through September 30, 2018, with possible supplemental funding beyond 2018. The Program Director will assist with the preparation of funding proposals to expand programs beyond this date. The Program Director reports to the Senior Director of Local Policy.
- Supervise site staff and operations
- Serve as the primary contact with the funder, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Develop community action plans and oversee their implementation
- Manage program budgets
- Lead community steering committee and serve as liaison between the organizations and partners involved in the project
- Lead advocacy campaign to include health language in the Stockton General Plan
- Lead outreach to recruit and develop resident leaders to support changes to Stockton General Plan
- Lead sustainability planning and implementation, including identifying and developing new funding opportunities
- Perform other duties as assigned
- BA/BS. MPH or MPA preferred
- 8+ years of experience in local policy development, community outreach/organizing and leadership of strategic advocacy campaigns
- Strong leadership skills
- Strong interpersonal skills to build and maintain relationships
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with grant writing and reporting
- This is a full-time exempt position
- Eligible for full health benefits available to spouses, domestic partners and dependents
- Compensation commensurate with experience
- Position available immediately
Submit cover letter, resume, and writing sample electronically to: Sergio Zepeda, Director of Administration: .
Public Health Advocates provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics.